Monday, April 12, 2010

The Garden Begins

Last weekend I started my vegetable garden. This year I've planted all of my favorite vegetables, all from Burpee brand seeds bought at my local hardware store:
  1. Sweet Corn (Silver Queen)
  2. Green Beans (Kentucky Wonder)
  3. Peas (Sugar Daddy)
  4. Radishes (Cherry Belle)
  5. Carrots (Danvers 126)
  6. Lettuce (Green Ice, Simpson Elite, and Arugula)
  7. Mild Peppers (various colors)
  8. Sweet Basil
Everything was sown directly in the ground, even the peppers which were recommended on the package to start inside. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping everything will germinate.

Here at Oaklawn Gardens I have 2 plots; the larger South plot, which has the first 6 items from the above list, and the smaller North plot, which has the remaining 2 items. I'm hoping to add some tomatoes to the North plot as soon as Joanne and I figure out what kind we want. I mixed in plenty of last year's compost into the soil in both plots a week before planting. Here's a picture of the plots just after planting:
South Plot

North Plot

1 comment:

  1. It is great to see the garden at the "dirt" stage.

    It will be really cool to see how things progress over time.

    So, how about a webcam?

    And a question -- what about the apple tree? And the blueberry bush? True, they're not part of your project. But maybe a post about them once in a while would be nice....

    ReplyDelete